Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Salve!

Ok so here are my thoughts on de rerum natura:

Challenges of translation for me as usual were figuring out word order and different grammar constructions I was re-familiarizing with after the summer vacation. Additionally some of the vocab was very abstract due to the fact that it was on the topic of philosophy involving particles.

I was able to draw paralells between the style of Homer in the Illiad and Lucretius in De rerum. This made sense to me as they were both epics. I noticed that Lucretius used comparisons, similes and even extended metaphors when explaining or describing things. This made it easier for me to understand the concepts, which reminded me of all the comparisons and mental pictures in Homers Illiad last year.

I thought it was interesting subject matter and well written.

4 comments:

  1. I am imagine it was bit of a stretch in vocabulary. How many high school students read Latin philosophy about atomic theory?

    Serious question: How would you compare Lucretius with Vergil in style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I meant Virgil in the Aneid not Homer in the Illiad. I believe that both lucretius and vergil use figurative language when comparing things. Both use similes, metaphors and extended comparisons. I realize that virgil acts as more of a narrator than lucretius. Lucretius appears to be explaining and teaching his conclusions, whereas virgil is creating a visual picture of a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are similar as far as using figurative language and their grammatical choices.With Leucretius he writes more on things that make you think. Versus virgil who writes to tell a story and with the way that virgil writes you feel as if you are there as its happening. Virgil is more like a narrator when you read his story and everything is written with so much detail that its like watching a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex and Shanice,

    You make good comments, but can you be a bit more specific, perhaps by citing some examples? Shanice, you say, "They are similar as far as using figurative language and their grammatical choices." Can you give some examples? Alex, you refer to similes, metaphors, etc. If you could each give some examples in Lucretius and Vergil of what you mean, that would make your points even stronger.

    ReplyDelete